Monday, October 29, 2007

It's good to be king


Saturday proved to be a good day for the middle child. (Don’t believe everything you read about birth order. He’s a well-adjusted preteen.) He scored a goal in his last soccer game for the season. (Might have had something to do with the fact I brought along a camera.) Then we zipped to his band competition at a neighboring middle school in time for him to play his percussion piece but not advance to the next round. He practiced and knew it, but got a little nervous and stumbled a bit. While this might not sound like good news, he didn’t mind since his friend Madalynn didn’t advance either, and he admits she works harder than he does at percussion.

Then off we drove to get some groceries and arrived home in time to put together his costume for a masquerade dance at school Saturday night. His costume: a gangsta ghost. His brother embellished the sheet with some bullet holes and he reused the Elvis sunglasses from a few Halloweens ago. He topped it all off with some bling and a crooked cap. Made me a little nostalgic for the year he dressed up as Hercules and roamed around the neighborhood with his “muskels” flexed.

The good day got even better when he arrived home from the dance with a gaudy gold crown on top of his baseball cap. He had been crowned king and Madalynn won queen. Not a bad day for the kid.

2 comments:

Wila said...

I was thinking of you this morning and hoping that you get your share of Candy Corn (I refuse to spell "C" words with "K"'s. Wish I knew how much candy to buy for my new neighborhood - I don't want to be tempted by leftovers.

Pamela Hammonds said...

Yes, I went through my one allotted bag of candy corn for the season as soon as I saw it on the shelf at Walgreens. I refuse to buy any more since I'm the only one who eats it.