Friday, January 11, 2008

How much is that lawsuit in the window?

I read in the news the other day that the claims against the government regarding Katrina now total $3,014,170,389,176,410. (I refrained from adding 99 cents, just to make it not seem quite so big.)

One plaintiff is filing his/her own three quadrillion dollar claim, apparently adhering to the strategy, aim high and leave room to negotiate. I didn’t even realize there was a number quadrillion, thinking it was like gabillion—a number my kids throw out there to quantify how many chores they have to do, or how much homework their teachers assigned.

One I-have-too-much-time-on-my-hands guy stated that a stack of quadrillion pennies would reach from Earth to Saturn. And that would impress me if I could only remember how far away Saturn is. But I’m sure it’s far, far away. Lots of pennies. (I kinda doubt the settlements would be doled out in pennies, but if they were, that would probably make everyone rethink their lawsuits.)

What I’d like to know is, what is he/she going to do with all that money? And more importantly, where’s it going to come from? It’s not like our government even has that much. Imagine what it would do to our national debt? Or the GNP? Or FEMA, or the NBA, or the DMV? Wouldn’t we all suffer if all the money in the whole entire USA ended up going to one person (less the percent his/her lawyer demanded)?

I just don’t think this is a good way to go about seeking retribution for having your life irrevocably changed by an act of God. Speaking of Him, I’m sure if this one plaintiff wins an amount anywhere close to what he/she is seeking, the assessment, “He has more money than God” would certainly apply here.

No comments: